- 12/04 British Composer Award winners are revealed
- 11/19 da Vinci's extremely rare Viola Organista
- 11/12 British composer John Tavener dies aged 69
- 11/11 Kermit Moore, cellist, conductor and composer, is dead at 84
- 11/08 Triangle Youth Philharmonic to Premiere Work by Terry Mizesko
- 11/04 Malone: "This is my Hitchcock moment"
- 10/28 Pianist Lang Lang Chosen as UN Messenger of Peace
- 10/22 Verdi and the Birth of Modern Italy
- 10/14 Royal Opera House expands Cinema Season
- 10/04 The Return of ‘The Nose’
- 09/24 A Fight for Love, in the Met and Out
- 09/18 NC Symphony Music Director Set to Lead Orchestra Through 2018 Season
- 09/13 Why music is good for the heart
- 09/12 Opinion: Star Tribune shouldn't echo
- 09/09 NYC Opera needs to raise $7M
- 09/03 10 Easy Ways To Optimize Your Music Practice
- 08/26 Britten's 'Paul Bunyan'
- 08/20 In music, the eyes matter
- 08/13 Sir Kenneth Branagh named campaign patron for Hallé St Peter's
- 08/09 Cloaking an Opera in a New Identity
- 07/29 Why young people still care about classical music
- 07/18 Your First Classical Music Crush
- 07/16 Why should we play the music of our time?
- 07/13 Youth Orchestra That's A National First
- 07/09 Jonathan Biss presents free online course on Beethoven
- 06/27 RSNO appoints new assistant conductor
- 06/19 Richard Marlow has died
- 06/17 La Scala presents Wagner's Ring
- 06/14 Pianist Davide Martello Calms Istanbul
- 06/12 Farewell to Mario Bernardi
- 06/10 Concerto Caledonia
- 06/09 Ukraine pianist wins Cliburn piano competition
- 06/09 Stuck on China tarmac
- 06/06 Austrian Piano Virtuoso Buchbinder
WCPE News: Press Releases
Curtis Brothers, Outreach Director
phone: (919) 556-5178
fax: (919) 556-9273
WCPE and Quail Ridge Present the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle
TheClassicalStation.org Features a Performance and Lecture Event
Wake Forest, N.C. (May 3, 2013) - WCPE Community and Arts Liaison Tara Lynn announces a special Mother’s Day event in WCPE Radio's Local Arts Series in collaboration with Quail Ridge Books and Music. The Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle will offer a short chamber music program including works by Beethoven and North Carolina native composer/violinist, Jennifer Curtis. This free event will take place May 12, 2013, at 4:30 p.m. at Quail Ridge Books & Music, 3522 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC.
Ms. Curtis will join Matt Chicurel, Laura Thomas, and Jake Wenger, members of the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle, in performing selections from Beethoven’s opus 3 String Trio and opus 132 String Quartet as well as a new work by Ms. Curtis. The hour-long program will be interspersed with lectures by the performers on Beethoven’s life, and the compositional techniques used in these two contrasting works.
Dr. Joseph Kitchen organized the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle originally under the name of St. Stephen's Chamber Orchestra in 1982. Its first conductor was violist George Taylor. In 1988, under the artistic direction of Lorenzo Muti, the ensemble reorganized as a non-profit cultural and educational organization, totally independent of the church where it originated. From the beginning, the orchestra was received with genuine respect and enthusiasm by the community, as well as by music critics. Today, it is considered one of the finest professional ensembles in North Carolina and the Southeast. With its elite corps of musicians, the orchestra continues to present a well-chosen and unusual repertoire that delights audiences and evokes high praise from critics. That standard of excellence has become the hallmark of the orchestra and has distinguished each succeeding season.
About The Local Arts Series by WCPE and Quail Ridge:
Co-sponsored by WCPE FM and Quail Ridge Books and Music, the Local Arts Series is a monthly free event in which a local arts organization will talk about its mission and one of its upcoming performances. Designed to be as entertaining as it is educational, each event also includes a performance aspect. WCPE and Quail Ridge Books and Music both look forward to working with more arts groups in the future and, together, focusing on community educational efforts. Quail Ridge Books and Music, 919-828-1588, 3522 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC, is an independent shop with a friendly, knowledgeable staff dedicated to providing the best in customer service. Their Music Department specializes in classical, jazz and traditional music and presents a diverse program of free concerts.
With a 30 plus year history, WCPE 89.7 FM is a non-commercial, 100 percent listener-supported, independent station dedicated to excellence in Great Classical Music broadcasting. WCPE is heard worldwide on the Internet in multiple formats, including the next generation IPv6. Because WCPE receives no tax-derived support, the station conducts two on-air fundraising campaigns and two major mail-out campaigns per year to raise needed operating funds. For more information, visit www.TheClassicalStation.org or call 919-556-5178.↑ Back to Top