- 05/03 A Midsummer Night's Dream, Middle Temple Hall
- 04/29 ENO appoints new artistic director
- 04/26 Esa-Pekka Salonen Brings His Cool to New York’s Music Scene
- 04/17 Sounds and Sweet Airs: The Forgotten Women of Classical Music by Anna Beer – review
- 04/10 CSO’s Young Artist Competition highlights classical music talent
- 04/02 Classical music’s forgotten women
- ♬ Special Note: Studying a Virtuoso Violinist's Brain with MRI
- 03/14 Composer Peter Maxwell Davies dies aged 81
- 03/06 Nikolaus Harnoncourt obituary
- ♬ Special Note: How Chapel Hill Violinist Jennifer Curtis Became a New Master of Romanian Composer George Enescu's Music
- 02/22 " My horn died recently. The metal wore too thin and it lost its resonance. I feel like a widow."
- 02/16 Celebrating the Life of Cleveland Orchestra conductor Louis Lane (1923-2016)
- ♬ Special Note: Playing it forward: Norman Johns
- 02/10 North Carolina teacher wins Grammy Music Educator Award
- 02/04 Mirga Gražinyte-Tyla to be new Music Director for City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
- 02/03 HIP Festival Aims to Rediscover Forgotten Symphonies
- 02/02 Renée Fleming: 'Live cinema is a threat to opera'
- 01/29 Gustavo Dudamel and Youth Orchestra L.A.'s Super Bowl halftime show
- 01/27 New York Philharmonic Taps Jaap van Zweden as Its Next Maestro
- 01/25 Nigel Kennedy, The New Four Seasons tour
- 01/21 Live: Suspense and tragedy with the North Carolina Symphony
- 01/15 Six of the best classical guitarists.
WCPE News: Press Releases
Curtis Brothers, Outreach Director
phone: (919) 556-5178
fax: (919) 556-9273
WCPE Presents Cartoons at Noon in June
TheClassicalStation.org Features Music and Fun
Wake Forest, N.C. (May 30, 2013) — WCPE Music Director William Woltz announces the series “Cartoons in June”. The series highlights the lighter side of classical music.
“For many of us, our first exposure to Classical music came from the Saturday morning adventures of a “wascally wabbit,” offers Woltz, who is also Allegro host.
Highlights of the series will be (all at Noon ET):
12:00 PM Ponchielli: "Dance of the Hours" from La Gioconda, featured in Disney's Fantasia and various cartoons
12:00 PM Suppe: Overture from The Beautiful Galatea, heard in the 1948 Looney Toons cartoon “Long-Haired Hare”
12:00 PM Rossini: Overture from The Thieving Magpie, heard in various cartoons
12:00 PM Strauss Jr.: “Tales from the Vienna Woods”, heard in the 1943 Warner Bros cartoon “A Corny Concerto”
12:00 PM Wagner: "Ride of the Valkyries" from Die Walkure, heard in the Warner Bros. cartoon, "What's Opera, Doc?"
“From Bugs Bunny to Bart Simpson, we’ll revisit some of the great musical selections that have made the classic cartoons so much better.” adds Woltz.
The day’s schedule can be accessed under Quick Links at Today’s Music at http://theclassicalstation.org/index.shtml.
You can request your favorite toon music at the Saturday Evening Request Program ( and be sure to 'Toon In'! )
WCPE’s 24/7 live broadcast of Great Classical Music, 24 Hours A Day can be accessed by military and foreign service personnel around the globe in several ways; on-line streaming in multiple formats, including IPv6, small dish home satellite reception, local cable television systems and traditional radio broadcasting. A complete list of the ways WCPE is available with instructions for cable and satellite reception can be found at: http://theclassicalstation.org/listen.shtml.
With a 30 plus year history, WCPE 89.7 FM is a non-commercial, 100 percent listener-supported, independent station dedicated to excellence in Great Classical Music broadcasting. WCPE is heard worldwide on the Internet in multiple formats, including the next generation IPv6. Because WCPE receives no tax-derived support, the station conducts two on-air fundraising campaigns and two major mail-out campaigns per year to raise needed operating funds. For more information, visit www.TheClassicalStation.org or call 919-556-5178.
↑ Back to Top