- 02/18 Is Rossini’s Cinderella overrated?
- 02/10 Leontyne Price: The Voice We Still Love To Talk About
- 02/08 Remembering Nicolai Gedda, 91, Versatile Tenor Whose Career Spanned Fifty Years
- 02/02 An introduction to Samuel Coleridge-Taylor
- 01/26 Malala Yousafzai’s UN speech set to music
- 01/22 John Rutter: 'Money's like petrol. You only notice when the tank is empty'
- 01/19 Roberta Peters, Soprano With a Dramatic Entrance, Dies at 86
- 01/15 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra/Petrenko
- 01/12 10 impossible classical masterpieces
- 01/05 Georges Prêtre: Conductor who forged a special partnership with Maria Callas in his 70-year career
- 01/03 Karel Husa, a renown Czech-born composer, spent his last years in Apex
- 12/26 Pianist Martha Argerich on remarkable career
- 12/25 Singers in Russian Military Choir Among 92 Feared Dead After Plane Crashes Into Black Sea
- 12/20 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Gatti, Barbican
- 12/07 The Best Classical Music of 2016
- 12/05 BBC Radio 3 to record music by ‘lost’ female composers
- 11/29 Academic denies irresponsibility in Sotheby's Beethoven manuscript row
- 11/16 Music aficionados are reviewing this incorrect Beethoven t-shirt and it’s hilarious
- 11/06 Zoltán Kocsis, pianist and 'giant of music', dies aged 64
- 11/01 BBC Proms announces Dubai dates
- 10/16 10 Questions for Conductor Sir John Eliot Gardiner
- 10/09 RIP Peter Allen, a Voice on the Radio for the Met Opera
- 10/03 Sir Neville Marriner on studying violin during the Blitz
- 09/28 Simon Keenlyside in ‘Don Giovanni’ [ Video ]
- 09/16 St Kilda lost songs album tops classical music chart
- 09/09 Antonio Pappano on Norma
- 08/29 Female Conductors: time to take the baton
- 08/20 Jules Buckley, the Conductor who is on a mission to rid the Proms of its image
- 08/14 David Lang's 'the public domain' Beats the Heat
- 08/03 Grisey: Les Espaces Acoustiques CD review – profound and with a huge physical presence
WCPE News: Press Releases
Curtis Brothers, Outreach Director
WCPE Salutes Women of Classical Music
TheClassicalStation.org Presents Female Conductors
Wake Forest, NC (March 22, 2012) — WCPE Volunteer Announcer Dave Bryant announces the celebration of Women’s History Month. March is the month worldwide that highlights the contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society, and in the United States Women’s History Month traces back to the year 1911. This coming Monday, March 26, 2012, 8 p.m. ET, WCPE in Wake Forest, NC will devote its program, Monday Night at the Symphony, to notable female conductors of classical music orchestras.
“We believe that classical music is an integral part of the quality of life in our communities, and our mission is to make great classical music available to the public 24 hours a day”, station manager Deborah Proctor says. “We look forward to acknowledging the women who work so hard to bring this great classical music to us, and to the world.”
On Monday’s program Bryant will play recordings led by conductors Jeanne Lamon, Sarah Hicks, Marin Alsop, Joann Falletta and the late Iona Brown as they present works by composers such as Bach, Dvorak, Mozart and others.
“Conductors of classical music orchestras have been posts traditionally held by men”, Bryant offers. “That’s quickly changing and it’s great to see women receive the recognition they deserve.”
WCPE is a non-profit station and its operating costs come from tax-deductible gifts made by its members and community underwriters. The station receives no financial support from any local, state, or federal government agencies.
WCPE broadcasts on a variety of FM frequencies in Eastern North Carolina and is heard throughout Eastern and Central North Carolina and Southern Virginia from its transmitting tower in Wake Forest, NC and other repeater stations. A live feed is also available on the Internet at www.theclassicalstation.org, cable systems, affiliate radio stations and via satellite. WCPE is a non-commercial, listener-supported station that plays classical music exclusively. WCPE is owned and operated by the Educational Information Corporation, a North Carolina non-profit broadcasting organization. The Corporation was formed in 1973 and began operating WCPE in July of 1978. The Corporation holds a federal 501 (C) (3) Public Charity Exemption Certificate and the corresponding certificate from the State of North Carolina.