- 12/04 British Composer Award winners are revealed
- 11/19 da Vinci's extremely rare Viola Organista
- 11/12 British composer John Tavener dies aged 69
- 11/11 Kermit Moore, cellist, conductor and composer, is dead at 84
- 11/08 Triangle Youth Philharmonic to Premiere Work by Terry Mizesko
- 11/04 Malone: "This is my Hitchcock moment"
- 10/28 Pianist Lang Lang Chosen as UN Messenger of Peace
- 10/22 Verdi and the Birth of Modern Italy
- 10/14 Royal Opera House expands Cinema Season
- 10/04 The Return of ‘The Nose’
- 09/24 A Fight for Love, in the Met and Out
- 09/18 NC Symphony Music Director Set to Lead Orchestra Through 2018 Season
- 09/13 Why music is good for the heart
- 09/12 Opinion: Star Tribune shouldn't echo
- 09/09 NYC Opera needs to raise $7M
- 09/03 10 Easy Ways To Optimize Your Music Practice
- 08/26 Britten's 'Paul Bunyan'
- 08/20 In music, the eyes matter
- 08/13 Sir Kenneth Branagh named campaign patron for Hallé St Peter's
- 08/09 Cloaking an Opera in a New Identity
- 07/29 Why young people still care about classical music
- 07/18 Your First Classical Music Crush
- 07/16 Why should we play the music of our time?
- 07/13 Youth Orchestra That's A National First
- 07/09 Jonathan Biss presents free online course on Beethoven
- 06/27 RSNO appoints new assistant conductor
- 06/19 Richard Marlow has died
- 06/17 La Scala presents Wagner's Ring
- 06/14 Pianist Davide Martello Calms Istanbul
- 06/12 Farewell to Mario Bernardi
- 06/10 Concerto Caledonia
- 06/09 Ukraine pianist wins Cliburn piano competition
- 06/09 Stuck on China tarmac
- 06/06 Austrian Piano Virtuoso Buchbinder
WCPE News: Press Releases
Curtis Brothers, Outreach Director
WCPE Hosts New World Weekend
TheClassicalStation.org Celebrates Thanksgiving
WAKE FOREST, N.C. (November 19, 2011) — WCPE’s Assistant Music Director Kenneth Bradshaw announces a New World Weekend to celebrate the American holiday of Thanksgiving. The station will air Great Classical Music with American themes and by American composers.
“New World Weekend is a veritable smorgasbord,” says Bradshaw. “You, the listener, act as programmer on All Request Friday.”
“Join us Thanksgiving weekend,” he continues. “Enjoy every tasty morsel”!
- 8:00 a.m. Gould: “Amber Waves”
- 9:00 a.m. Dvorak: American Suite
- 11:00 a.m. Beethoven: Symphony no. 6 in F (Pastoral)
- 12:00 p.m. Copland: Four Dance Episodes from Rodeo
- 3:00 p.m. Schuman: New England Triptych27
- 5:00 p.m. Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
- 6:00 p.m. Nelson: Savannah River Holiday
- 7:00 p.m. Copland: Our Town
- 8:00 a.m. Bernstein: Overture to Candide
- 9 a.m.-10 p.m. All Request Friday
- 10:00 p.m. Hovhaness: Suite for Flute and Harp (The Garden of Adonis)
- 8:00 a.m. Chadwick: Symphonic Sketches
- 10:00 a.m. Williams: “Hymn to the Fallen” from Saving Private Ryan
- 11:00 a.m. Grofé: Grand Canyon Suite
- 1:00 p.m. Hanson: Symphony no. 2 (Romantic)
- 3:00 p.m. Copland: Appalachian Spring
- 5:00 p.m. Gershwin: An American in Paris
- 6:00 p.m.-Midnight: Saturday Evening Request Program; you pick the great American music!
- 7:00 a.m. Beach: “Gavotte Fantastique”
- 11:00 a.m. Copland: Red Pony Suite
- 1:00 p.m. Diamond: Rounds for String Orchestra
- 2:00 p.m. Barber: Violin Concerto
- 4:00 p.m. Dvorak: Symphony no. 9 in E Minor (From the New World)
- 5:00 p.m. Bernstein: “Make Our Garden Grow” from Candide
Throughout the weekend the music of American composer Aaron Copland will be featured. There will be performances of the following pieces by this Native Maestro; Rodeo, Red Pony Suite, Our Town and Appalachian Spring.
WCPE’s 24/7 live broadcast of Great Classical Music can be accessed around the globe in several ways; on-line streaming in multiple formats, including IPv6, local cable television systems and traditional radio broadcasting. A complete list of the ways WCPE is available with instructions for cable and satellite reception can be found at: http:// theclassicalstation.org/listen.shtml.
Since 1978 WCPE 89.7 FM has been dedicated to excellence in Great Classical Music broadcasting. WCPE is one of the first community-supported stations to stream on the Internet. The programming is available on our own satellite channel and on multiple Internet streams, including IPv6. WCPE receives no tax-derived support, rather depends on tax-deductible support through on-air fundraising and mail-out campaigns. More information can be found at www.TheClassicalStation.org or by calling 919-556-5178.