- 12/10 La Scala Confirms Chailly Will Be Principal Conductor and Music Director
- 12/04 British Composer Award winners are revealed
- 11/19 da Vinci's extremely rare Viola Organista
- 11/12 British composer John Tavener dies aged 69
- 11/11 Kermit Moore, cellist, conductor and composer, is dead at 84
- 11/08 Triangle Youth Philharmonic to Premiere Work by Terry Mizesko
- 11/04 Malone: "This is my Hitchcock moment"
- 10/28 Pianist Lang Lang Chosen as UN Messenger of Peace
- 10/22 Verdi and the Birth of Modern Italy
- 10/14 Royal Opera House expands Cinema Season
- 10/04 The Return of ‘The Nose’
- 09/24 A Fight for Love, in the Met and Out
- 09/18 NC Symphony Music Director Set to Lead Orchestra Through 2018 Season
- 09/13 Why music is good for the heart
- 09/12 Opinion: Star Tribune shouldn't echo
- 09/09 NYC Opera needs to raise $7M
- 09/03 10 Easy Ways To Optimize Your Music Practice
- 08/26 Britten's 'Paul Bunyan'
- 08/20 In music, the eyes matter
- 08/13 Sir Kenneth Branagh named campaign patron for Hallé St Peter's
- 08/09 Cloaking an Opera in a New Identity
- 07/29 Why young people still care about classical music
- 07/18 Your First Classical Music Crush
- 07/16 Why should we play the music of our time?
- 07/13 Youth Orchestra That's A National First
- 07/09 Jonathan Biss presents free online course on Beethoven
- 06/27 RSNO appoints new assistant conductor
- 06/19 Richard Marlow has died
- 06/17 La Scala presents Wagner's Ring
- 06/14 Pianist Davide Martello Calms Istanbul
- 06/12 Farewell to Mario Bernardi
- 06/10 Concerto Caledonia
- 06/09 Ukraine pianist wins Cliburn piano competition
- 06/09 Stuck on China tarmac
- 06/06 Austrian Piano Virtuoso Buchbinder
WCPE News: Press Releases
Curtis Brothers, Outreach Director
WCPE and Quail Ridge Present Raleigh Chamber Music Guild
TheClassicalStation.org Celebrates Group’s 70 Years of Music
Wake Forest, N.C. (October 19, 2011) - WCPE Community and Arts Liaison Tara Lynn announces the October edition of the WCPE Local Arts Series in collaboration with Quail Ridge Books and Music. Raleigh Chamber Music Guild Executive Director Nancy Lambert will discuss highlights of the Guild’s 70-year history. To demonstrate their mission, the Guild will also present performances by two string quartets. The free event will be October 26, 2011, 7:30 p.m. at Quail Ridge Books and Music, 3522 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC.
"We're looking forward to discussing the valuable role our local chamber music guild plays," says Lynn, who is also the host of “As You Like It”.
In keeping with RCMG’s mission to present and promote chamber music in the Greater Raleigh area, we are delighted to feature a program highlighting the rich talent of both area adult amateur (in the best sense of the word!) musicians and advanced student ensembles. The Triangle is home to a large group of skilled amateur musicians who, when they’re not at their daytime jobs in the medical, computer or scientific fields, enjoy playing chamber music as an active avocation. The RCMG Quartet, comprised of current and former board members Steve Reynolds, a NCSU physics professor, Margaret Harnish, a violin/viola teacher, Peter MacBeth, Development Officer at the Methodist Home for Children, and Richard Clark, a retired professor of radiology at UNC, will play music by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven.
High school students from the Mallarmé Youth Chamber Orchestra (MYCO at UNC) will play the first movement of Debussy’s string quartet. MYCO members are Carter Coleman, Wyatt Coleman, Anders Janson and Drake Driscoll.
"WCPE appreciates the opportunity to connect music lovers and performers through our partnership with the staff at Quail Ridge Books and Music and our collaborative series," Lynn adds.
About Raleigh Chamber Music Guild:
Since 1941, The Raleigh Chamber Music Guild has been enriching the Triangle by commissioning new chamber works, sponsoring community activities, providing opportunities for student musicians, showcasing North Carolina artists and presenting world class artists performing music of the highest caliber..
About The Local Arts Series by WCPE and Quail Ridge:
Co-sponsored by WCPE FM and Quail Ridge Books and Music, the Local Arts Series is a monthly free event in which a local arts organization will talk about its mission and one of its upcoming performances. Designed to be as entertaining as it is educational, each event also includes a performance aspect. WCPE and Quail Ridge Books and Music both look forward to working with more arts groups in the future and, together, focusing on community educational efforts.
Quail Ridge Books and Music, 919-828-1588, 3522 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC, is an independent shop with a friendly, knowledgeable staff dedicated to providing the best in customer service. Their Music Department specializes in classical, jazz and traditional music and presents a diverse program of free concerts.
With a 30 plus year history, WCPE 89.7 FM is a non-commercial, 100 percent listener-supported, independent station dedicated to excellence in Great Classical Music broadcasting. WCPE is heard worldwide on the Internet in multiple formats, including the next generation IPv6. Because WCPE receives no tax-derived support, the station conducts two on-air fundraising campaigns and two major mail-out campaigns per year to raise needed operating funds. For more information, visit www.TheClassicalStation.org or call 919-556-5178.