- 08/25 Exclusive Video: Anja Harteros records 'O Patria mia'
- 08/16 Lars Vogt Presents Late-Career Beethoven and Schubert
- 08/13 Written on Skin and the problem of new opera
- 08/12 R.I.P. Ronald Wilford, talent manager
- 08/06 Totenberg’s Stolen Stradivarius Is Found After 35 Years
- 08/03 Spectacle and Substance at Bregenz Festival
- 07/25 Leif Ove Andsnes and the Mahler Chamber Orchestra showed the many faces of Beethoven
- 07/20 Kentucky Opera director dies in car crash in Illinois
- ♬ Special Note: On the Organ Trail in Manhattan
- 07/12 R.I.P. Jon Vickers, Tenor
- 07/06 Self-taught Frenchman takes Russia by storm
- 06/29 Facing the music: Eric Whitacre
- 06/22 Kirill Petrenko to succeed Simon Rattle at the Berlin Philharmonic
- 06/22 James Horner, Film Composer, Dies in Plane Crash
- 06/22 Recognition of Ernest Tomlinson, orchestral composer
- 06/21 R.I.P. Gunther Schuller, Pulitzer-winning jazz and classical musician
- 06/06 Are We All Mistuning Our Instruments, and Can We Blame the Nazis?
- ♬ Special Note: Carla Dirlikov becomes first opera singer to be named to The
President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities' Turnaround Arts
- 06/03 Remembering Margaret Juntwait
WCPE News: Press Releases
Curtis Brothers, Outreach Director
WCPE and Quail Ridge Presents KidZNotes
TheClassicalStation.org Features Young Performers
Wake Forest, N.C. (March 7, 2011) - WCPE Community & Arts Liaison Tara Lynn announces the March edition of the Local Arts Series in collaboration with Quail Ridge, Saturday, March 12, 3 p.m. at Quail Ridge Books and Music ( http://www.quailridgebooks.com/ ), 3522 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC. Students enrolled in the KidZNotes ( http://www.kidznotes.org/ ) program of Durham will perform selections from their upcoming March concerts with the Durham Symphony and the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle - with their favorite melodies from the Suzuki violin method and Beethoven's infamous "Ode to Joy." The Local Arts Series provides the audience with an opportunity to ask questions about the program and find out more about KidZNotes first year and its plans for 2012.
"I'm thrilled with their progress - and since word has gotten out thanks to WCPE about our kids - our phone is ringing off the hook!” says Katie Wyatt, Executive Director of KidZNotes. “We are in constant demand for performance, which is great.”
“Building our kids' confidence and comfort in public performance and leadership is a core principal of El Sistema," Katie she adds.
More opportunities to hear the children perform will follow throughout the month of March. The ‘KidZ’ will be performing in the lobby of the Carolina Theatre before the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle concert, March 13, 2011 about 2:30 p.m. The busy group of students will also perform side-by-side with the Durham Symphony at the Emily K Center in Durham, March 19, 2011 at 3 p.m.
KidZNotes is an El Sistema-inspired program that transforms futures through classical, orchestral music training beginning in the pre-school years to combat poverty, strengthen inner-city education and foster positive decision-making to unlock the world. Our vision is to spread the El Sistema movement all across North Carolina. Providing free instruments and music lessons is only the beginning–we aim to give children hope for the future regardless of their circumstances. By working with local school boards and social organizations, we will strive to reach the maximum number of children. Eventually, we’ll have a system of quality youth orchestras making music across the state. The hard work these children put in and the love they develop for music will open many doors for their futures.
About The Local Arts Series by WCPE and Quail Ridge:
Co-sponsored by WCPE FM and Quail Ridge Books and Music, the Local Arts Series is a monthly free event in which a local arts organization will talk about its mission and one of its upcoming performances. Designed to be as entertaining as it is educational, each event also includes a performance aspect. WCPE and Quail Ridge Books and Music both look forward to working with more arts groups in the future and, together, focusing on community educational efforts.
Quail Ridge Books and Music, 919-828-1588, 3522 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC, is an independent shop with a friendly, knowledgeable staff dedicated to providing the best in customer service. Their Music Department specializes in classical, jazz and traditional music and presents a diverse program of free concerts.
With a 30 plus year history, WCPE 89.7 FM is a non-commercial, 100 percent listener-supported, independent station dedicated to excellence in Great Classical Music broadcasting. WCPE is heard worldwide on the Internet in multiple formats, including the next generation IPv6. Because WCPE receives no tax-derived support, the station conducts two on-air fundraising campaigns and two major mail-out campaigns per year to raise needed operating funds. For more information, visit www.TheClassicalStation.org or call 919-556-5178.