- 10/31 The Search for Mrs. Bach
- Special Note: Infograph: BSO 2014-15 By the Numbers
- 10/28 KC Symphony for Game 6, Joyce DiDonato for Game 7
- 10/27 John Barry’s Widow Establishes a Scholarship for Film Music
- 10/25 Did Bach’s wife write his finest works controversy
- 10/08 Australia Opera cancels Carmen over fears it promotes smoking
- 10/07 Read about the new documentary, "Maestro"
- 10/05 How to Make Music With a Whale
- 10/04 Handel & Haydn’s Bernard celebrates society’s success
- 09/30 Winners Chosen in Program to Aid Female Composers
- 09/28 Andris Nelsons Begins Tenure Leading BSO
- 09/24 Christopher Hogwood has died
- Special Note: Backstage at New York’s Metropolitan Opera! (Video)
- 09/16 2nd conductor resigns from Vienna State Opera
- 09/09 The Sixteen to tour with Monteverdi’s Vespers
- 09/02 Music Lessons Enhance Brain Function in Disadvantaged Kids
- 08/25 Frans Brüggen, Pioneer in Early Music
- 08/25 Czech Philharmonic Orchestra Belohlávek-Weilerstein review
- 08/22 Metropolitan Opera Reaches Settlement With Last Unions
- 08/19 Addicts Symphony
- 08/18 Metropolitan Opera and Two Unions Reach a Tentative Deal
- 08/14 Conductor Gerard Schwarz to record Season 2 of PBS series
- 08/13 Conductor Frans Brüggen has died
- 08/07 Louisville Orchestra in the black
- 08/05 Christiane Karg carries on performance with dislocated knee
- 08/04 Saito Kinen Festival to be renamed after maestro Ozawa
- 07/27 Operatic tenor Carlo Bergonzi dies aged 90
- 07/22 Is This Young Man The Next Leonard Bernstein?
- 07/14 Lorin Maazel, child prodigy turned brilliant conductor
- 07/14 Classical at the casino - ka-ching?
- 07/14 Classical at the casino - ka-ching?
- 07/13 Maestro Lorin Maazel - 1930-2014
- Of Special Note: Falletta’s Irish orchestra tenure to end this fall
- 07/03 Philip Smith, Master Trumpeter
WCPE Features: Opera
WCPE offers 2 wonderful opportunities each week to hear the best in opera... Thursday nights at 7pm, and Saturday afternoons at 1:30 (when the Met is in season.) The WCPE Opera House has been a regular Thursday night feature at WCPE since April of 1980. On Saturday afternoons during the Met season, tune in for live broadcasts from the Metropolitan Opera.
On December 4th, 2008, Bob Chapman became only the third host in the history of the WCPE Opera House, succeeding Robert Galbraith. Bob is an experienced opera singer himself, and continues to use his wealth of experience and talents to bring the very best works of opera to our listeners with his show.
Here is Bob's interview with Anthony Roth Costanzo
as well as performance of "Stille amare" ( MP3 format )
Click here to listen to Bob's Interview with Teresa Stratas
Follow WCPE Opera House on Facebook | Twitter
WCPE Opera House Schedule for Spring 2014:
Thursdays at 7pm with host Bob ChapmanBecome a Sustaining Member, support Great Opera!
- September 4 —
Rossini’s La Scala di Seta & Il Signor Bruschino
The silken ladder (la scala di seta) is used nightly by Dorvil (Matteuzzi) to rejoin Giulia (Serra), to whom he’s secretly married, but who’s living in the house of her father (Di Credico). In Il Signor Bruschino, Sofia (Battle), ward of Gaudenzio (Ramey), is being forced to marry Bruschino’s (Desderi) son (Arévalo), whom she’s never seen. Her lover Florville (Lopardo) passes himself off as Bruschino’s son.
- September 11 —
Falla’s La Vida Breve & Granados’s Goyescas
Salud (Rodriguez) is in love with Paco (Hernández), a young man who doesn’t bother to tell her he plans to marry a woman from a higher social class, leading to her death. Based on a series of six paintings from Francisco Goya’s early career, Goyescas was inspired by the stereotypical young men and women of the majismo movement.
- September 18 —
Leoncavallo’s La Bohème
Popp, Weikl, Bonisolli, and Milcheva star in the “other” operatic version of Henri Murger’s Scènes de la Vie de Bohème. (From the Ruocchio Archives.)
- September 25 —
Massenet’s La Vierge
A sacred oratorio in four scenes sometimes performed in opera houses, La Vierge is a recounting of the story of the Virgin Mary (Command) from the Annunciation to her death.
- October 2 —
Rameau’s Castor et Pollux
Heavenly twins Castor (Jeffes) and Pollux (Huttenlocher) are both in love with Télaïre (J. Smith), but after Castor is killed, she wants Pollux to ask Jupiter (Wallington) to restore his brother to life.
- October 9 —
Stravinsky’s The Rake’s Progress
Tom Rakewell (Hadley), engaged to Anne Trulove (Upshaw), inherits a fortune and is lured to London by Nick Shadow (Ramey) to a life of vice and dubious business ventures.
- October 16 & 23 —
Fall Membership Drive
Pledge your support for the WCPE Opera House!
- October 30 —
Adapted from Shakespeare’s play by the same name, the ambitious Lady Macbeth (Rysanek) persuades Macbeth (Warren) to murder King Duncan (Hines). Rebels led by Macduff (Bergonzi) eventually kill the usurper.
- November 6 —
Gomes’s Il Guarany
The Guarany tribal prince Pery (Domingo) rescues Cecilia (Villarroel) from the Spaniards, who have planned to hand her over to the rival Aymoré tribe. Cecilia’s father, Antonio (Tian), rescues them.
- November 13 —
Beach’s Cabildo & Van de Vate’s All Quiet on the Western Front
In Cabildo, Mary (Hellekant) dreams of Lady Valerie (Flanigan), who convinces the pirate Pierre Lafitte (E. Perry) to escape from jail to fight in the Battle of New Orleans. Van de Vate’s All Quiet on the Western Front pays tribute to the sufferings of ordinary soldiers in war and is based on Remarque’s famous World War I novel.
- November 20 —
Bizet’s Les Pêcheurs de Perles
Zurga (G. Quilico) and his friend Nadir (Aler) are both in love with the same priestess, Leila (Hendricks), who is under a vow of chastity— punishable by death if she breaks it. (From the Ruocchio Archives.)
- November 27 —
Bellini’s La Sonnambula
Sleepwalking Amina (Callas) is engaged to Elvino (Monti), who’s also loved by Lisa (Cossotto). Things get really complicated when Amina pays a nocturnal visit to Count Rodolfo (Zaccaria).
↑ Back to Top
Find out more at the Met Opera Information Center.
Find study guides and more at the Metropolitan Opera Guild's Learning Center.