- 01/22 John Rutter: 'Money's like petrol. You only notice when the tank is empty'
- 01/19 Roberta Peters, Soprano With a Dramatic Entrance, Dies at 86
- 01/15 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra/Petrenko
- 01/12 10 impossible classical masterpieces
- 01/05 Georges Prętre: Conductor who forged a special partnership with Maria Callas in his 70-year career
- 01/03 Karel Husa, a renown Czech-born composer, spent his last years in Apex
- 12/26 Pianist Martha Argerich on remarkable career
- 12/25 Singers in Russian Military Choir Among 92 Feared Dead After Plane Crashes Into Black Sea
- 12/20 Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Gatti, Barbican
- 12/07 The Best Classical Music of 2016
- 12/05 BBC Radio 3 to record music by ‘lost’ female composers
- 11/29 Academic denies irresponsibility in Sotheby's Beethoven manuscript row
- 11/16 Music aficionados are reviewing this incorrect Beethoven t-shirt and it’s hilarious
- 11/06 Zoltán Kocsis, pianist and 'giant of music', dies aged 64
- 11/01 BBC Proms announces Dubai dates
- 10/16 10 Questions for Conductor Sir John Eliot Gardiner
- 10/09 RIP Peter Allen, a Voice on the Radio for the Met Opera
- 10/03 Sir Neville Marriner on studying violin during the Blitz
- 09/28 Simon Keenlyside in ‘Don Giovanni’ [ Video ]
- 09/16 St Kilda lost songs album tops classical music chart
- 09/09 Antonio Pappano on Norma
- 08/29 Female Conductors: time to take the baton
- 08/20 Jules Buckley, the Conductor who is on a mission to rid the Proms of its image
- 08/14 David Lang's 'the public domain' Beats the Heat
- 08/03 Grisey: Les Espaces Acoustiques CD review – profound and with a huge physical presence
Winter HighlightsBy William Woltz
- The Metropolitan Opera
Saturday, December 3
A new season of live broadcasts begins December 3 at 12:30 p.m. with Puccini's Manon Lescaut.
Each year, WCPE spends three days in tribute to Ludwig van Beethoven's greatest symphonies, sonatas, concertos, and more, culminating in the glorious Ninth Symphony on the presumed day of his birth (December 16) at 8:00 p.m.
- Chanukah (Hanukkah)
Sunset Saturday, December 24
We'll celebrate the beginning of Chanukah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, with special music on December 24 at 6:00 p.m., with additional seasonal selections throughout the eight-day observance.
- Christmas Eve
Following our special Chanukah program, WCPE's Bob Chapman presents three hours of favorite Christmas works sung by the stars of the opera stage beginning at 7:00 p.m.
Music of joy and merriment, mystery and awe. WCPE brings you the best in Christmas music from the Classical tradition.
- Russian Romantics Weekend
Russia is a land of intense cold and stark beauty, a place of mystery that moved Rimsky-Korsakov, Mussorgsky, and others to write music of great passion and color. Russian Romantics is one of our favorite musical weekends, beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, January 13, during the WCPE Concert Hall.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
We celebrate the legacy of Dr. King with music of American composers and performers.
- Mozart Madness
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart left the world a treasure of operas, symphonies, piano concertos, and sacred music. Join WCPE for a three-day celebration of all things Mozart. And because his birthday falls on an All- Request Friday, we invite you to request your favorite Mozart pieces that day.
- Black History Month
We'll celebrate music by composers and performers of African ancestry throughout the month.
- Valentine's Day
(by advance request)
Tuesday, February 14
Make a Classical music request in honor of your sweetie. We'll play as many requests as we can from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. that day. Requests must be received by February 7 online or through the U.S. Postal Service.
- Simply Strings Weekend
Violin, viola, cello, bass, guitar, mandolin, harp, and more — a weekend of Great Classical Music featuring strings and the players that make them go zing! Presidents' Day February 20 Patriotic selections and American music to honor our leaders through the years.
- All-Request Fridays
December 30, January 27, and
You can play music director on the final Friday of each month. Submit your request online anytime at theclassicalstation.org, or call WCPE at 919.556.0123 on the morning of the request program. We'll play your requests from 9:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). And don't forget our Mozart Madness edition of the All-Request Friday in January!
↑ Back to Top