- 09/10 Heartbroken pianist plays non-stop in public
- 08/22 Anna Netrebko Storms Salzburg, Classical Music’s Summit
- 08/07 Forebears: Maria Callas, The Divine Voice Of Classical Music
- 07/20 Igor Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring” at Burning Man
- 07/12 Rising-star cellist Bryan Cheng receives Michael Measures Prize
- 07/04 Putting ‘Don Giovanni’ on a Truck, and Returning Opera to Its Roots
- 06/27 A Life of Toscanini, Maestro With Passion and Principles
- 06/19 Thomas Allen: ‘I fly the flag for opera as a great art form'
- 06/12 Yekwon Sunwoo wins the Cliburn Piano Competition
- 06/01 Jiri Belohlavek, Czech Conductor, Dies at 71
- 05/26 A Fast-Rising Czech Conductor Leads the Philharmonic
- 05/19 Royal Albert Hall invites the public to share memories
- 05/12 A Valiant Return to the Met Opera: This Week’s 8 Best Classical Music Moments
- 04/27 Composer Max Richter’s top five lesser-known classical music picks
- 04/21 Bill Murray to release classical music album
- 04/12 Where Pianists Look When They Play
Hint: Not at their hands.
- 04/07 A Passion for Bach: why the St John belongs on the live stage at Easter
- 03/29 Early Music Vancouver's back to Bach headlines classical music blitz
- 03/17 where have classical music’s uppercase letters gone?
- 03/15 A New York Philharmonic Coup: Deborah Borda Is Named the New Leader
- 03/14 Stradivarius heard for first time since 1980 theft
- 03/08 Fanny Mendelssohn's getting her due
- 03/02 Orchestral librarians: In The Line Of Fire
- 02/18 Is Rossini’s Cinderella overrated?
- 02/10 Leontyne Price: The Voice We Still Love To Talk About
- 02/08 Remembering Nicolai Gedda, 91, Versatile Tenor Whose Career Spanned Fifty Years
Fall HighlightsBy William Woltz
- Labor Day Weekend
The days of summer are drawing to a close, but the Great Classical Music on WCPE never ends. We’ll play your favorites throughout the holiday weekend.
- Patriot Day
We will play music of reflection and remembrance throughout the day, culminating in a special edition of Monday Night at the Symphony.
- Brothers and Sisters
Our annual birthday salute to composer Michael Haydn (younger brother to Franz Josef ) now includes the musical contri- butions of many sibling composers and performers, such as the brothers Bach, the family Strauss, and Wolfgang and Nannerl Mozart; plus Gil and Orli Shaham, Richard and John Contiguglia, and members of the Ying Quartet, Hagen Quartet, and Claremont Trio.
- Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Sunset, September 20, and Sunset, September 29
Special music to mark the beginnings of Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year) and Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement). The programs air at 6:00 p.m. ET on those respective days, with encore airings to be announced.
- Great Ballet Days
Complete musical performances of some of your favorite ballets, including Tchaikovsky’s Sleeping Beauty and Delibes’s Coppélia, plus selected ballet highlights each day.
- Armchair Travelers Weekend
Let TheClassicalStation take you on a musi- cal journey from the Grand Canyon to the Appalachian highlands, along the beautiful blue Danube, to the fjords of Norway or an English country garden. Relax in your favor- ite chair and let the music take you away.
- WCPE’s Fall Membership Drive
We are grateful for your financial support, which enables WCPE to share Great Classical Music with listeners everywhere. Make your tax-deductible gift at theclassicalstation. org, or mail it to
PO Box 897, Wake Forest, NC
- Great Nicknames Weekend
Beethoven wasn’t thinking of the moon when he wrote his famous piano sonata. A publisher dubbed it Moonlight, and the name stuck. Join us for a weekend of great music with colorful names and intriguing stories: Haydn’s Miracle Symphony, Tchaikovsky’s Pathétique Symphony, Chopin’s “Revolutionary” Etude, and much more.
- Thanksgiving Day/
New World Weekend
Join WCPE as we celebrate home and family with Classical favorites chosen to provide a beautiful accompaniment to your Thanksgiving gathering. The weekend that follows is filled with the best offerings of American composers and performers.
- All-Request Fridays
September 29 and November 24
You’re the music director, from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Submit your advance requests at theclassicalstation.org, or call WCPE at 919.556.0123 on the morning of the request program. And don’t forget our weekly feature, the Saturday Evening Request Program, beginning at 6:00 p.m.
↑ Back to Top